About the ‘Young Leaders for the SDGs’ Flagship Initiative:
On a biennial basis, 17 outstanding young leaders from across various sectors are recognized for their agency, courage and ingenuity in finding lasting solutions to the world’s greatest challenges.
Throughout the two-year term, these 17 Young Leaders will engage young people for the 2030 Agenda, not only through their existing initiatives, platforms and networks but through advocacy opportunities with the United Nations and its partners.
Becoming a Young Leader is a title of recognition from the United Nations for young people who are excelling in their contributions to helping deliver on the SDGs in their communities.
Applications for the 2022 Class are now open and will close on 31 March 2022! Young people from all over the world between the ages of 15 and 29 years are encouraged to apply.
Candidates are selected based on the following criteria:
- Leadership – Ability to influence and motivate others
- Innovation – Uniqueness and ingenuity
- Scalability – Potential to benefit others beyond their current scope of impact
- Impact – Measurable outcomes directly linked to their work
- Presentation – Inspire and motivate others through storytelling
Other factors that are taken into consideration are:
- Achievement – Commitment to promoting and advancing key areas of the SDGs
- Influence – Commitment to inclusive and innovative leadership
- Integrity – Commitment to core values of the United Nations
Young leaders actively support the following objectives:
- Advocate – Advocate for the SDGs in ways most accessible and relevant to young people across different contexts
- Engage – Promote innovative ways of engaging their audiences and peers in the advocacy and realization of the SDGs
- Build – Contribute to a brain trust of young leaders supporting the UN and partners for key moments and initiatives related to the SDGs